Car Accident Lawyer in Nassau County, NY
A serious car accident is one of the most frightening and confusing events many people ever experience. To make matters worse, seeking the compensation you need after a car accident can be a long and daunting process. You may have significant medical expenses. The insurance company may deny your claim or offer a settlement that is less than fair. There’s no need to face these challenges alone.
The Nassau County car accident lawyers of The Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C., understand the struggles that many people face in the aftermath of a crash. We have years of experience fighting for the rights of New York accident victims and demanding full and fair compensation.
If you were involved in a Nassau County car accident, we can help you pursue compensation from the driver who caused the accident and the driver’s car insurance carrier. Contact us today for a free, confidential consultation.
Causes of Car Accidents in Nassau County, NY
Car accidents happen in many ways. Some of the most common causes of car accidents in Nassau County, NY include:
- Distracted driving – Safe driving is a demanding task that requires constant attention. When drivers focus on other activities such as talking with passengers, adjusting the radio, or talking on the phone, they are more likely to overlook potential road hazards and cause traffic accidents.
- Impaired driving – Alcohol and intoxicating drugs impair individuals’ ability to drive safely. Drivers who are under the influence tend to have slower reaction time, impaired judgment, and difficulty evaluating distance. An impaired driver who causes a crash in Nassau County, NY resulting in injuries should be accountable for the harm caused.
- Drowsy driving – According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), drowsy driving can be just as dangerous as drunk driving. Driving after just 24 hours of sleep deprivation is effectively the same as driving with a blood alcohol content over the legal limit. Drowsy driving is associated with as many as 6,000 fatal crashes each year in the U.S.
- Speeding – Drivers who exceed posted speed limits or drive too fast for road conditions present a serious risk to everyone on the road. When drivers speed, they have less time to react to changing traffic conditions ahead or a pedestrian crossing an intersection. Excessive speed is a factor in many auto accidents in Nassau County, NY.
- Aggressive driving – Aggressive driving behaviors include running red lights, tailgating, lane weaving, using bright headlight beams to punish another driver, and cutting others off in traffic. Aggressive drivers tend to be unpredictable, which puts everyone on the road at risk. Aggressive driving may lead to acts of road rage.
- Driver inexperience – Passing a state-required driving test and obtaining a license does not mean a person is experienced enough to handle all the traffic situations that arise in New York City. Teen drivers and those without significant driving experience are less likely to recognize dangerous traffic scenarios or react in time to avoid accidents.
- Failure to yield – All New York drivers are expected to yield the right-of-way to other vehicles, cyclists, and pedestrians in certain circumstances. For example, a driver approaching a Nassau County intersection must yield the right-of-way to vehicles already in the intersection. Drivers who fail to yield the right of way properly when turning, merging, or crossing intersections can cause serious accidents. They may be financially liable for the injuries others suffer in collisions caused by their failure to yield
- Running red lights or stop signs – Red lights and stop signs play an important role in managing traffic in Nassau County and throughout Queens. When drivers disregard safety and run red lights or stop signs, severe accidents such as T-bone accidents and head-on collisions can occur.
- Defective car parts – In some cases, car components can fail due to defects that occurred during the manufacturing or assembly process. When defective automotive parts fail, drivers can experience loss of control and crash. Injured victims may be able to hold the auto park manufacturers liable for accidents caused by faulty components.
Common Car Accident Injuries in Nassau County, NY
The violent impact of a car crash can cause serious injuries. The common injuries caused by Nassau County car accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Neck and back injuries
- Spinal cord injury
- Internal injuries
- Bone fractures
- Heat, friction, or chemical burns
- Cuts, lacerations, and bruises
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Partial or total paralysis
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
Types of Compensation You Could Receive
Because New York is a no-fault auto insurance state, you will first need to turn to your own insurance provider for compensation after a crash, no matter who was at fault. However, if your injuries and expenses are significant and another person’s negligence caused the accident, you may be able to seek additional compensation by filing a car accident injury claim against the at-fault motorist and his or her insurance company.
If you can prove that the other party was negligent, you could be entitled to compensation for:
- Past and present medical expenses – You may seek compensation for the costs of medical expenses you incur as a result of the accident. This includes costs associated with things like ambulance rides, hospital stays, surgeries, doctors’ office visits, diagnostic tests, prescription medications, medical equipment, therapy, and in-home care.
- Projected future medical expenses – If you will need future medical care to treat your accident-related injuries, you can claim compensation for the estimated costs of that future care. You could also be compensated for incidental costs related to your injuries, such as the costs of transportation to medical appointments and home or vehicle modifications to make them accessible.
- Lost wages – If you were forced to miss work as a result of your injuries, you may seek compensation for your lost wages. It’s a good idea to hold on to pay stubs or banking records to demonstrate the value of your lost wages.
- Lost future earning potential – If your injuries are serious enough to prevent you from returning to work in your usual capacity, you may be able to seek compensation for losses in your projected future earning capacity. Your attorney can help you consult with an occupational specialist to estimate the value of wages you likely would have earned if you hadn’t been involved in the accident.
- Pain and suffering – You may seek compensation for the pain and suffering you have endured as a result of the accident. Unlike many other states, New York does not impose a maximum cap on the value of pain and suffering compensation. When a Nassau County car accident attorney at The Tadchiev Law Firm handles your car accident injury claim, our firm will present evidence to show how the pain has affected the quality of your life and what you are able to do.
- Vehicle repair or replacement costs – If your vehicle was seriously damaged or totaled as a result of the accident caused by another motorist, you may claim compensation for the costs of repairing or replacing the vehicle. New York vehicle owners are required to carry at least $10,000 in liability insurance for property damage, including accident-related vehicle damage.
- Punitive damages – Punitive damages are a rare type of compensation sought by victims who are injured by others who acted with extreme recklessness or intentional malice. Punitive damages are designed to punish at-fault parties and discourage others from engaging in similar behavior in the future. As with pain and suffering compensation, there is no cap on punitive damages in New York.
A Nassau County, NY Car Accident Lawyer Can Manage Your Case
The idea of filing an injury claim for compensation, gathering medical evidence to support your claim, and negotiating for the money you need can feel overwhelming when you’re still recovering from serious injuries after an accident.
An attorney at The Tadchiev Law Firm can manage all aspects of your case including:
- Providing a free case review to help you understand your legal rights and options for recovering compensation
- Beginning work on your case immediately, with no up-front or out-of-pocket fees and no charge unless we win compensation for your claim
- Conducting an independent investigation of the accident to uncover critical evidence and determine who was at fault
- Interviewing eyewitnesses who saw the crash for supporting testimony
- Accessing hard-to-obtain evidence such as driver cell phone records
- Issuing spoliation letters to preserve short-lived evidence before it is lost
- Consulting with expert witnesses, such as healthcare professionals and accident reconstruction specialists, who can provide testimony to support your claim
- Managing important paperwork, documents, and deadlines on your behalf
- Communicating with other drivers, vehicle occupants, insurance providers, and attorneys on your behalf to help you avoid self-incriminating statements
- Negotiating forcefully with insurance companies for the compensation you need
- Taking your case to trial, if insurance carriers refuse to provide a reasonable settlement offer
Contact a Nassau County Car Accident Attorney Today
At The Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C., a Nassau County, NY car crash attorney can help you seek maximum compensation to pay your medical bills and rebuild your life. We’re familiar with how big car insurance companies operate and the strategies they use to minimize or deny valid claims. Our law firm is not afraid to stand up to insurers and demand the fair settlement you deserve.
When you’re ready to get help with a car accident injury case, contact our Nassau County, NY accident lawyers for a free initial case review.