Uninsured & Underinsured Accident Lawyer in Queens, NYC
You have been injured in a car accident in Queens, but it turns out that the person responsible for your injuries is uninsured. That can add stress and anxiety to a situation that is already stressful.
During this painful time, remember that you may have options under your own auto insurance policy. Your uninsured motorist coverage could provide the compensation that you need.
At The Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C., we are dedicated to helping people who have been hurt in accidents that could have been prevented. We serve as aggressive advocates for injury victims in Queens and across the New York metro area. As you recover from your injuries, we can build your claim and fight for the compensation you deserve.
If you have been injured, focus on your health and not on the legal battle with an insurance company. Turn to The Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C., for the aggressive advocacy and personalized service you deserve. Get your free consultation by contacting us by phone or online today. You do not have to pay any fees unless we win compensation for you.
What Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage?
Uninsured Motorist Coverage, also known as UIM, is insurance coverage that protects you if someone without insurance injures you. UIM coverage can also be used if a hit-and-run driver injures you. This type of coverage is required under New York law.
UIM coverage can be an important source of compensation for your bodily injuries. However, UIM coverage cannot be used for any property damage you may have suffered.
Coverage may be available even if you do not own an automobile policy with UIM benefits. The Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation, a non-profit organization started by the Legislature, provides coverage for individuals without insurance who are injured in uninsured motorist accidents.
If you have questions about whether uninsured motorist coverage is available to you, talk with a Queens uninsured accident lawyer today. A lawyer at The Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C., can review your case, explain your insurance policies, and help you pursue the compensation you need to move forward.
Understanding NY Insurance Policy Requirements
New York State requires that motorists have these types of insurance coverage:
- Uninsured motorists coverage for accidents where you are injured by a motorist who is uninsured. UIM typically provides $25,000 in coverage for bodily injury and $50,000 in coverage per accident.
- Personal injury protection insurance, also known as “no-fault” insurance. This insurance may cover expenses such as medical bills, lost wages and other costs related to your injury. In New York, the minimum amount of no-fault coverage is $50,000.
- Liability insurance for injury to others and damage to their property. According to the New York Department of Motor Vehicles, New York drivers must carry these minimum amounts of liability insurance:
- $25,000 for bodily injury and $50,000 for death for a person involved in an accident.
- $50,000 for bodily injury and $100,000 for death for two or more people. New York drivers must also carry a minimum of $10,000 in coverage for property damage.
Depending on your insurance policies, these limits may be higher. After an accident, speak with an attorney at The Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C. An attorney can review your policies and explain what coverages may apply.
What to Do if You Are Hit by an Uninsured Driver in Queens
If an uninsured driver hits you, take these steps to protect your rights:
- Contact the police. Police will manage the accident scene and create an accident report. An accident report can be a vital part of your claim in an uninsured motorist accident. If another driver hit you and fled the scene, the police report will reflect this fact.
- Seek medical treatment for your injuries. Injuries in an accident can be serious and may not appear until hours or days after an accident. If you require emergency treatment, have medical technicians come to the accident scene. Even if you are feeling okay, it is still important to get a full medical evaluation.
- Take photos at the accident scene. Take pictures of the accident scene that show damage to the vehicles, license plates, skid marks, and other details that may affect your claim.
- Get the contact information for the driver and witnesses. Get the names and contact details of anyone who was involved in the accident. Also, get the contact information for any eyewitnesses. If the other driver fled the scene, write down any information that could help police locate that person.
- Speak with a Queens uninsured accident lawyer. When you have been injured in an accident, do not delay seeking legal help. A lawyer from The Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C., can explore your options, including the availability of UIM coverage.
How a Queens Uninsured Accident Attorney Can Help
After an accident involving an uninsured or underinsured motorist, an attorney can help by:
- Serving as the point of contact for everything related to your claim
- Taking the pressure off you by building your claim, gathering key documents, and preparing the paperwork your claim needs
- Explaining your options for compensation, including UIM coverage
- Providing the personalized service that you need
- Aggressively negotiating with insurance companies and others for the compensation you deserve
- Standing up for you and pursuing your rights in court, if necessary
If you have been injured in an uninsured motorist accident in Queens, NY, contact The Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C., today. An accident can be an incredibly stressful event, but our firm knows how to take the burden off you. We can build your claim, advise you on your options, and pursue the maximum amount of compensation for you. Throughout your case, we will provide the personalized service and aggressive advocacy you deserve.
When you work with The Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C., you are in good hands. We offer a free consultation to review your case, and we charge no fees unless we win. For your free case review, call us today.