Truck Accident Lawyer in Long Island
A truck accident on Long Island can cause life-threatening injuries and prove to be far more complicated than a normal car accident. Trucking companies and multiple insurance companies may be involved. At the same time, federal and New York State trucking laws must be considered.
If you have been hurt in a truck accident, it is important to have an experienced and knowledgeable truck accident lawyer on your side.
At The Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C., we know that your recovery is crucial after a semi-truck accident. We offer the aggressive advocacy and personalized service that you deserve. We serve communities throughout Long Island.
We are ready to work to take the pressure off you. We will make sure that you get the full attention and care you need. In fact, our firm intentionally takes on a smaller caseload so we can keep the focus on your recovery.
Trust us to handle your Long Island truck accident case. We offer a free case consultation, and you pay no fees unless we win for you. For your free case review, contact us today.
Why 18-Wheeler Truck Accidents Are More Complicated
Truck accidents can be much more complicated than normal car accidents for these reasons:
- Larger and more serious impacts – Truck accidents may involve massive vehicles traveling at high speeds. The combination of weight and speed creates large accident scenes and complex, life-threatening injuries.
- More data available about the crash – Unlike normal vehicles, commercial trucks carry electronic data recorders (EDR). These recorders can capture important information such as quick braking maneuvers. That data can help investigators and experts determine how and why a crash occurred.
- Complex federal and New York trucking laws around cargo – When trucks are carrying cargo, loaders must prepare the cargo according to state and federal safety regulations.
- Maintenance and repair records – Under the law, every commercial truck must undergo regular maintenance. As part of a claim, maintenance and repair records must be reviewed to uncover mechanical problems.
- Driver licensing and requirements – Truck drivers must meet legal requirements to be on the road. Federal regulations require that truck drivers take adequate breaks. If they fail to take those breaks and drive while tired, mistakes can leave other motorists with severe injuries.
- Multiple insurers – The policies of multiple insurance companies may be at issue in any truck accident. For example, separate policies may insure the truck, the truck driver and the trucking company. Even the truck’s cargo may have its own insurance policy.
Who Can Be Held Responsible for a Truck Accident?
In a Long Island truck accident, many individuals and groups may share responsibility, including:
- The truck driver
- The trucking company
- Cargo loaders
- Brokers who coordinated the cargo shipment
- Truck manufacturers
- Component manufacturers
Proving Your Long Island Truck Accident Claim
Your truck accident case may need these types of evidence:
- Daily logs that record the driver’s rest and work periods
- Maintenance and repair records
- Police reports
- The truck driver’s medical history
- Inspection records
- Electronic data recorder information
- Accident scene analysis
- Witness reports
- Cell phone records
- Medical records of your injuries
Pursuing Maximum Compensation in a Long Island Truck Accident Case
When you seek truck accident compensation in New York, you may be entitled to these damages:
- The pain and suffering you experience along with any emotional distress you suffer
- The loss of income and any damage your injuries had on your future earning potential
- Property repair or replacement for the vehicle and personal belongings damaged in the accident
- The wrongful death of a loved one, including the loss of the loved one’s support and care
After a semi-truck accident, these and many other types of compensation may be available to you. If you have questions, speak with a truck accident lawyer in Long Island from The Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C.
New York Statute of Limitations on Truck Accident Claims
After a heavy truck accident in Long Island, you generally have three years from the date of the crash to bring your claim. If a family member died because of injuries from the accident, you have two years from the date of the loved one’s passing to file a claim for wrongful death.
These time limits are strict, and in some instances, you may have less time to file your claim. It is important to talk with an attorney as soon as possible after a truck accident injury. An attorney can review your case and determine what time limits apply.
Tips for Protecting Your Rights After a Truck Accident
After an accident, take these steps to protect your rights:
- Get the police and medical services on the scene. Those officials will create a report, administer emergency care and check on everyone’s well-being.
- Do not discuss the accident with witnesses or the other party. Let investigators figure out what happened in your accident. Avoid saying anything that could be used against you in the future.
- Photograph anything relevant at the accident scene. Take photos of the vehicles, road conditions, skid marks and anything else that might aid in the investigation of the accident scene.
- Collect contact information from any witnesses. People who see an accident often leave after police arrive. Ensure that you get the names and contact information for any witnesses as soon as you can.
- Talk with a Long Island truck accident attorney. An attorney from The Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C., can handle your claim while you focus on healing. The attorney will let you know what comes next and will fight for your right to compensation.
How Our Long Island Truck Accident Attorneys Can Help
After a serious truck accident, an attorney from The Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C., can help by:
- Answering any questions and concerns you have
- Analyzing your truck accident case under New York law
- Building your claim for the compensation
- Filing a truck accident lawsuit
- Aggressively advocating for you in negotiations and in court
Helping You After a Truck Accident Injury
If you have been injured in a truck accident on Long Island, contact The Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C., today. We aggressively advocate for accident victims. We are committed to providing the personalized attention you deserve. We are available to help in truck accident claims throughout Long Island.
Contact our Long Island injury lawyers at The Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C., today for your free consultation.