Fatal Car Accident Lawyer in Queens, NY
If you lost a loved one in a deadly car accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you don’t have to go through this alone. The Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C. is here to help.
We understand this is a devastating time in your life. You’re trying to cope with what happened and prepare for your loved one’s funeral. Adding a legal case to your list of responsibilities can seem overwhelming.
We can help you build a case against the negligent driver and pursue the compensation owed to you and your family. Call or contact us online for a free consultation with a fatal car accident lawyer in Queens, NY for more information.
Fatal Car Accident Statistics in Queens
According to the New York Police Department, 29 people in Queens South and 40 people in Queens North died in traffic accidents in one recent year. There were 253 citywide fatalities in car accidents that year.
Common Injuries from Fatal Car Accidents
Car crashes can cause a range of injuries varying in severity. The human body can’t withstand the violent forces and sudden change in direction it experiences during a collision. Many victims recover despite debilitating or life-threatening injuries. However, some car accidents are fatal, either immediately or shortly after the collision.
The most common fatal car accident injuries include:
- Loss of limb
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Crush injuries
- Internal bleeding and organ failure
- Severe burns
- Penetrating injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck and back injuries
Common Types of Fatal Car Accidents
Any motor vehicle crash can have fatal results. However, the most common types of accidents that can lead to death include:
- Distracted driving – Drivers must always focus on the road ahead. Texting, eating, or looking at a GPS directs their attention to another task. In a split second, a driver can swerve into another lane or crash into the back of a stopped vehicle. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 3,142 people died in distracted driving accidents in one recent year.
- T-bone collisions – A T-bone accident occurs when the front of one car crashes into the side of another. It commonly occurs in intersections when a motorist runs a stop sign or red light. However, it can also happen if a driver turns in front of oncoming traffic.
- Multi-vehicle crashes – Pileups endanger the lives of everyone involved. Multiple vehicles colliding with each other can trap people inside and leave them vulnerable to additional injuries.
- Rollover accidents – Sudden maneuvers can cause a vehicle to roll. Drivers who speed are also more likely to lose control of their vehicles, potentially causing deadly car accidents.
- Rear-end collisions – While many rear-end accidents result only in injuries, some are fatal, such as when a driver is traveling at a higher rate of speed at the time of impact.
- Head-on accidents – A head-on collision is one of the deadliest types of car accidents, especially when it occurs at high speeds. The significant force of impact can lead to debilitating injuries and fatalities.
What to Do After a Fatal Car Accident
Consider hiring a fatal car accident lawyer from The Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C. immediately after the crash. This is an essential step after learning your loved one’s death is due to someone else’s misconduct. You should have an opportunity to hold them liable and seek compensation.
We can investigate the crash to collect evidence of its cause and consequences. Depending on the facts of the case, this evidence might include:
- Police reports– A police report is a document that law enforcement completes after investigating an accident. Police reports sometimes provide an opinion of fault. Although the report is the officer’s opinion, it might help prove you have a valid wrongful death car accident case.
- Photographs– Visual evidence is valuable in fatal car accident cases. We can collect pictures the investigating officer or other people took of the scene immediately following the crash. We can also request medical photos as necessary.
- Witness testimony– Statements from objective witnesses can strengthen your case against the negligent party. This can include people who saw the accident, as well as people who saw what the driver was doing in the moments leading up to the crash.
- Video footage– Footage taken from traffic or security cameras can provide valuable evidence of the events that led to the crash. It can be especially useful if it shows the other driver engaging in unsafe or illegal behavior.
- Medical records– We will request all copies of your loved one’s medical records and bills. The records might prove the fatal injury and eliminate doubt about whether something else was to blame. The bills speak to the financial harm your family has suffered and for which you deserve to be compensated.
Wrongful Death Claims and Car Accidents
New York law defines wrongful death as a death caused by someone else’s default, wrongful act, or neglect. If the deceased could have pursued a lawsuit had they survived the accident, a wrongful death suit effectively allows their survivors to pursue compensation on their behalf.
The personal representative of the deceased’s estate (often called its executor) is the only individual allowed to file a wrongful death lawsuit for a fatal car accident. A surviving family member can’t file suit unless they are also the personal representative.
A wrongful death case compensates the family or estate for the death. The compensation you receive from a wrongful death car accident settlement or verdict might cover:
- Financial support the deceased would have contributed to the family if they were still alive
- Reasonable burial and funeral expenses
- The surviving family’s lost inheritance
- Reasonable medical expenses related to the deceased’s fatal injury, including expenses for their medical aid, nursing, and attention
- Conscious pain and suffering the deceased experienced due to the fatal injury
- The value of services and support the deceased would have provided
- Interest on compensation starting from the date of death
Punitive damages can also be awarded.
You must follow a specific timeframe to hold someone liable for your loved one’s death after a car crash. In New York, the statute of limitations for wrongful death allows a two-year timeframe to file a lawsuit. That means the personal representative generally has two years from the date of the victim’s death to file suit against the at-fault party.
The only exception is if there’s a criminal case pending against the person responsible for the accident. For example, the at-fault driver might have a DUI charge for driving drunk. The claim is effectively put on hold until the state’s criminal case against the driver concludes. Instead of a two-year timeframe, the personal representative must file the lawsuit within one year of the date the criminal case against the at-fault driver ends.
Average Settlement for a Fatal Car Accident in Queens
At the Queens law firm of The Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C., we are often able to recover sizeable awards for our clients in wrongful death cases. However, we know every case is unique, so there is no “average” wrongful death car accident settlement amount. The potential value of your claim will depend on several factors, including:
- The value of the losses your family has suffered because of the wrongful death
- The defendant’s actions
- The amount of available insurance
- The strength of the evidence in your case
To learn more about the potential value of your claim, contact The Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C. to speak to one of our wrongful death lawyers today.
Legally Establishing a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
Establishing liability in a wrongful death case requires substantial evidence. You must prove another party is at fault for your loved one’s death. The process can be challenging, especially because you might not know what evidence you need or how to demand it.
Hiring a fatal car accident lawyer from The Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C. is critical. We can launch a thorough investigation and obtain the available evidence. We might consult accident reconstruction specialists and other experts to determine who caused the crash. We can also review video footage and photos of the accident scene and track down witnesses to get their statements.
After establishing you are entitled to pursue a wrongful death lawsuit, we will handle your claim. You will receive the guidance and support you need to get through this traumatic experience when you have a compassionate wrongful death lawyer in your corner. You shouldn’t face the burden of a complex legal procedure while dealing with losing your loved one. Let us handle each step from start to finish.
Call Our Queens, NY Fatal Car Accident Attorneys
If your loved one passed away due to a fatal car accident someone else caused, you deserve the time to grieve your loss. You could be entitled to substantial compensation. You can avoid jeopardizing your and your family’s needs by contacting the fatal car accident lawyers at The Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C.
We understand that no amount of money can change what happened or bring your loved one back. However, we know it could provide you and your family with the financial stability you need during this difficult time. It can also help pay for final medical bills, funeral costs, and other expenses related to the fatal car accident. You can count on us to aggressively pursue the maximum compensation available.
Don’t wait to seek justice and accountability on your loved one’s behalf. Contact The Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C. today to get started.