Common Types of Motor-Vehicle Collisions in Queens
The New York Police Department reports that there were 2,744 motor-vehicle accidents in Queens in June 2021 including more than 1,000 crashes involving injuries or fatalities.
Understanding how different kinds of accidents occur can help determine who should be held financially responsible for any injuries. Driver inattention, following too closely, and failure to yield the right of way are common contributing factors to car accidents in New York. Whether you were injured by a distracted driver or in a multi-car pileup, you should know about your rights after a Queens car crash.
Types of Road Car Accidents
In addition to single-car crashes, some other common types of motor-vehicle collisions include:
- Head-on collisions – Head-on collisions are among the most dangerous types of car accidents. They usually involve two vehicles colliding at high speeds. When two vehicles collide head-on, the drivers and passengers in both vehicles experience the full force of the collision. Head-on collisions can cause a vehicle to crumple around the driver and passengers in the front of the cabin, causing catastrophic injuries and sometimes pinning the occupants in place. Drivers drifting out of their lane because they’re intoxicated, distracted, or falling asleep, often cause head-on crashes.
- Rear-end collisions – Rear-end collisions are one of the most common types of car accidents in Queens. These accidents can still cause significant harm. Even at low speeds, rear-end collisions put tremendous force on the bodies of anyone involved, especially those in the forward vehicle. The sudden forceful impact from a rear-end crash can lead to whiplash and other back, neck, and head injuries. Rear-end collisions are caused by distracted driving, driving while impaired, and drivers following too closely.
- Side-impact collisions – Side-impact collisions, also known as T-bone accidents, involve one car striking the side of another car at a right angle, forming a “T” or an “L” shape. These accidents are generally the result of one driver proceeding through an intersection when they shouldn’t, causing them to hit another driver passing through the intersection or attempting to turn. Drunk driving, distracted driving, speeding, and reckless driving are frequent causes of side-impact collisions in Queens.
- Sideswipe collisions – A sideswipe collision happens when two side-by-side vehicles hit each other. This may cause one or both vehicles to lose control and spin out, possibly leading to additional collisions. Most sideswipe collisions are the result of carelessness on the part of one or both drivers, though other causes such as impaired driving or distracted driving may play a role.
- Car rollovers – Car rollovers can happen for many reasons, such as when a vehicle experiences a side-impact collision, or the driver loses control of the vehicle after drifting off the road shoulder, or a tire blowout. Rollovers often cause catastrophic injuries to the occupants who are thrown violently around the cabin as the vehicle tumbles.
Contact a Queens Car Accident Lawyer Today
The injury attorneys at Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C., assist people injured in all types of vehicle accidents caused by the fault of others. Under New York law, you have the right to seek fair compensation if you were injured due to someone else’s negligence. Contact the Queens car accident lawyers at the Tadchiev Law Firm, P.C., today for a free initial consultation.