Long Island, NY – Man Hit & Killed By Police Cruiser on Merrick Rd
Long Island, NY (December 11, 2023) – Officials confirmed on Monday, December 11, that a motorist who struck and killed the pedestrian in Oceanside on Saturday was an off-duty member of the New York Police Department.
According to authorities who responded to the scene at around 2:00 a.m. in the morning, a man was killed after being struck and killed as he crossed the junction of Merrick Road and Oceanside Road on Saturday. Allegedly, the motorist contacted authorities and EMTs after the incident took place and remained at the scene. State law mandates that the Attorney General’s Office conduct an investigation into any civilian fatality at the hands of a police officer, though no further details have been provided in the investigation.
Our sincere condolences are extended to the deceased man’s family.
Pedestrian Accidents in New York
Each year, countless people across New York State are tragically affected by the consequences of automobile accidents. A significant portion of pedestrian-related crashes in our state stem from the negligent actions of drivers behind the wheel. Among the leading causes of these collisions are:
- Drivers who run red lights.
- Drivers who failed to yield.
- Drivers who are distracted.
- Drivers who pass stop signs.
- Drivers who are intoxicated.
Regrettably, these negligent and reckless actions contribute to a substantial number of vehicle collisions that occur in our state. Many victims involved in crashes are left with severe injuries. Some of the most common include:
- Spinal cord injuries: Spinal cord injuries are among the most serious consequences of pedestrian accidents, often resulting in paralysis. Paraplegia and quadriplegia are two devastating outcomes, causing a loss of function in the lower or all limbs. These injuries demand specialized medical care, rehabilitation, and ongoing support to manage the long-term effects.
- Broken bones: Compound fractures are a common type of injury sustained in car accidents. These fractures often require surgical intervention, followed by casting, physical therapy, and rehabilitation to restore mobility and function.
- Internal organ injuries: The sudden force of a collision can severely damage internal organs such as the lungs, spleen, and other soft tissues. These injuries can be life-threatening and demand immediate medical attention to prevent further complications.
If you have sustained injuries as a result of a pedestrian crash, you need to reach out to a Long Island pedestrian accident lawyer immediately. Legal options may be available to help you get the financial resources you need to move forward.
Our team at the Tadchiev Law Firm P.C. understands the challenges you may be facing and is dedicated to helping you navigate through this difficult time. With our experienced attorneys by your side, we will fight for the compensation that you deserve to cover medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, and more. Do not hesitate to reach out to us for assistance in seeking justice for your pedestrian accident case. Contact us at (718) 606-4099 today for a free consultation.
Notes: When writing these accident news pieces, our writers rely on secondary sources. These sources are comprised of police and fire accident reports, news reports, and newspaper articles, as well as first-person testimonies from accident witnesses. Because of this, our team at The Tadchiev Law Firm P.C. has not independently validated the information regarding this accident. Please get in touch with our company to have any inaccurate information corrected right away. Please let us know if you want the post to be taken down from our website, and we will do our best to comply.
Disclaimers: In order to prevent being engaged in a tragic accident, we wish to encourage the people in our neighborhood to drive slowly and with caution. This news article is not meant to be a solicitation for business. Any information offered shouldn’t be regarded as professional medical or legal advice. The photo used in this post wasn’t taken at the location of the collision.